Anna R. Langford Community Academy
As the owner’s representative for Chicago Public Schools, bKL led the planning and design management for Anna R. Langford Community Academy, a 79,000 SF, three-story facility in the West Englewood Community. Formerly known as Nicholas Copernicus Public School, the 1905 building has been recognized by Chicago Landmarks as Orange Listed. The historic nature of the building led to a conscious effort to preserve and restore the exterior to its original design, including the replacement of the 9,900 SF standing seam metal roof with a shingled roof to mimic the original slate design. Additional exterior upgrades included repairs and painting of the ornamental steel cornices, spandrel panels and window mullions; 20% masonry tuckpointing, and full cleaning of the brick. Interior renovations addressed abatement, patching and painting of plaster in the gymnasiums, corridors and third-floor classrooms.
This capital improvement project was planned simultaneously with two other sister schools from the era: Eli Whitney Elementary School and James Monroe Elementary School. Although scopes of work required for each building varied, the approaches to each of the three renovations were informed by the prototypical nature of the original designs.
- Project Area
- 79,000 square feet
- Dynacept Engineering, MEP
- All-Bry Construction
- Philip Shin
- CPS Program Management Office
- Jacobs Engineering, Cotter Consulting, Primera Engineering, Perry and Associates, Infrastructure Engineering, Inc., LCM Architects
- CPS Architect of Record
- Doyle & Associates